Recovery after Stroke
If you’ve suffered a stroke, our team of certified stroke rehabilitation specialists can help you maximize your recovery.
Our dedicated brain injury team is led by board-certified physiatrists (medical doctors specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation) in brain injury. Our rehabilitation nursing staff is anchored by Certified Rehabilitation Registered Nurses (CRRNs) who are trained to meet the special needs of TBI patients.
Other TBI team members include:
- licensed physical therapists
- registered occupational therapists
- speech/language pathologists and
- certified recreation therapists
We also have therapists with advanced certifications pertaining to neurologically impaired patients. Our therapists are known for their TBI expertise and are actively teaching in local colleges and educating others at a state-wide level. Specialty certifications that our therapists hold include:
- NDT (Neurodevelopmental Training)
- Neuro-IFRAH (Neuro-Integrative Functional Rehabilitation and Habilitation)
- NCS (Neurological Certification Specialist designated by the National Physical Therapy board)
- CBIS (Certified Brain Injury Specialist)
- Certified Vestibular Therapist
- Vital Stimulation Certification
- Board-Certified Neuropsychology
During your stay at Baylor Rehab, your stroke team will accomplish the following:
- Evaluate your condin within 72 hours
- One family member or friend will be chosen as thein contact person
- Your initial treatment plan will change as you wotoward your goals
- You and your team will meet every week to review youoals and progress
- Copies of your weekly progress reports will be put into yopatient education notebook
- You and your family, friend(s) will meet each week toactice new skills such as transferring, walking and exercising
You will participate in programs that will help you t your new goals:
- Functional Program
- Get Home Program
- Personal Health Goals Program
- Personal log sheets so you can track your progress
What sets Baylor Rehab apart from other rehabilitation hospitals?
Our hospital offers a comprehensive stroke program that includes research-based technologies and training in the following areas:
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Animal-assisted therapy
- Community and vocational re-integration
- Stroke education series
- Aquatics Therapy
- Vision Services – Low Vision Clinic
- Wheelchair Seating Clinic
Baylor Institute for Rehabilitation is an important rehabilitation component of the North Texas Traumatic Brain Injury Model System. We’re one of only 16 facilities nationwide designated as a model system of care for patients with traumatic brain injuries by the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILLR).
Designed to increase knowledge about the effects of TBIs and to improve outcomes and the quality of life for patients and their families, the North Texas Traumatic Brain Injury Model System is a cooperative effort between Baylor Rehab, UT Southwestern Medical Center and John Peter Smith Hospital.
Our brain injury specialists routinely attend and present at national educational conferences and frequently publish new insights on their specialty.