We provide advanced care for a wide range of orthopedic and musculoskeletal conditions including hip fractures, joint replacements and multiple trauma injuries. Our multidisciplinary team helps patients to:
- Regain strength and mobility
- Increase function
- Utilize adaptive techniques and equipment
- Resume daily activities as safely and independently as possible
Common inpatient orthopedic conditions
- Multiple Trauma - Multiple trauma patients usually have complex injuries and require a very specific type of care and treatment, as the recovery process can be slow and challenging. Baylor Rehab will provide you with an experienced rehabilitation team that will work to help you function independently – again.
- Joint Replacement - As a joint replacement patient, you may require intensive nursing care. Your Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation team will monitor your progress daily, as well as train and educate you on the necessary programs that will help you adjust to everyday life. Through physical and occupational therapy, we will help you regain the strength, mobility and confidence to get you back to where you were.
- Joint Fracture - Although treatment goals and expected outcomes are typically the same for joint fracture as joint replacement, the length of stay is generally longer. Many factors play a role in this process, and that’s why your treatment team will be with you throughout the entire process, keeping you comfortable, fully aware of your progress and on track for a successful discharge.
The Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation difference
Where a person goes for treatment can make all the difference in their recovery. Studies1 show that those treated in a specialized rehabilitation hospital – like Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation – have greater improvement, fewer complications and return home sooner than patients at nursing facilities. We provide the comprehensive program of medical, nursing and therapy care that can make a difference in your recovery.
At Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation, we draw on the expertise of a seasoned team of orthopedic rehabilitation specialists to address the range of physical and functional issues you face following injury, joint replacement or other bone-related conditions.
This inter-professional team is led by a physiatrist, a physician board-certified in physical medicine and rehabilitation, and includes rehabilitation nurses; physical, occupational, and recreation therapists; dietitians; pharmacists; case managers and other clinical and support staff as needed.
Treatment is tailored to your medical, physical and functional needs and goals to help:
- restore physical abilities
- build strength and endurance
- minimize pain
- manage any post-surgical inflammation or swelling
- improve balance and regain mobility
- enhance skills to perform daily activities
- optimize independence
Through this highly coordinated program, we also manage your post-surgical needs and monitor for any complications. We help you follow precautions related to your surgery, including how to lie in bed, sit, stand, bend and move safely.
To help you successfully return to life at home, work, school and/or the community, Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation offers an unparalleled continuum of care, building on the gains made during your inpatient stay. Patients accomplish this by participating in Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation’s outpatient orthopedic rehabilitation programs, conveniently located at our four hospital campuses and more than 100 Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation – Outpatient Therapy locations throughout the state.
Patients with orthopedic conditions who choose Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation have greater improvement during their stay and a higher level of independence upon discharge, than other rehabilitation hospital, based on national benchmarks2.
Your progress. Our programs.
It’s important to remember that recovery takes time. Each patient is different and your stay with us will depend on the extent of your injury and/or surgery, any other medical issues and the progress you make each day.
We continue to provide advanced care and innovative treatments, that includes a combination of hands-on therapies and proven technologies to help you regain strength, restore skills and mobility and rebuild your life.
Your ability to perform daily activities at home, work, school or in the community is critical to your independence. Your therapy team may introduce a variety of tools, techniques and strategies to help you manage these tasks. This includes adaptive equipment, such as reachers and other devices to help you get dressed, as well as electronic aids and other assistive technologies.
Preparing you and your family for life ahead is one of our primary goals. We provide extensive education, training and support to help you understand your condition, use the strategies provided to manage everyday activities and move forward with confidence.
To help reinforce your skills and restore your spirit, Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation’s specially trained Canine Companions* may be part of your therapy program. A number of our therapists work with these remarkable dogs to engage patients in a wide range of activities that support the rehabilitation process.
*Not available at all locations
The ability to drive is an important part of an independent lifestyle. Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation’s certified driver rehabilitation specialists offer the evaluation and training to help appropriate individuals drive safely. They will also discuss any modifications and/or adaptations that may be needed.
Our approach to outpatient orthopedic rehabilitation
Nothing can slow you down like muscle or joint pain. Our outpatient orthopedic rehabilitation can help you overcome injuries or impairments affecting your muscles or skeletal system. Whether you have a broken bone, an ACL tear, a joint replacement or you’re just trying to get rid of stubborn back pain, we can help treat a wide variety of musculoskeletal conditions. Our licensed therapists specialize in treating orthopedic injuries and will build an individualized plan around your needs so you can get back to your life as quickly as possible.
Outpatient orthopedic services
Let Us Help
1Assessment of Patient Outcomes of Rehabilitative Care Provided in Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities (IRFs) and After Discharge. Dobson DaVanzo & Associates, LLC. 2014.