There are more than 10 million Americans diagnosed with Osteoporosis and another 34 million are at risk. Women are four times more likely to be affected than men, and over half of those diagnosed are over the age of 50. However, osteoporosis can strike anyone at any age.
Our specialized osteoporosis management program will help individuals man age this condition. We combine medical evaluation, physical therapy, occupational therapy, exercise and education so you can build strength, restore mobility, reduce pain and decrease risk of fractures. The experienced staff at Baylor Rehab will work with your individual needs and offer you the most advanced treatment strategies to help you manage osteoporosis.
Osteoporosis management through our licensed therapists will help you:
- Increase strength and balance
- Decrease the risk of falls and fractures
- Provide postural re-education
- Slow the process of bone loss
Early detection and early treatment are key to managing osteoporosis. We start with you. By performing a comprehensive evaluation, we can determine your needs and set rehabilitation goals. Based on your detailed medical history, physical examination and diagnostic studies, we can start a treatment plan that addresses both medical and functional concerns, including pain management.
Our treatment plans will include physical therapy and occupational therapy that include:
- Exercises to increase bone strength, improve posture and decrease therisk of fracture
- Training to improve balance and coordination
- Treatments to reduce pain
- Fitting with orthoses, if recommended
- Instruction in the use of adaptive equipment to help with daily activities
Home exercise plans will be provided to help you reinforce and maintain the progress you’ve made. Our therapy team will carefully monitor you throughout the treatment and will adjust the plan if needed. We will continually communicate with your primary or referring physician to ensure continuity of care.