Nutrition & Weight Gain after Spinal Cord Injury
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Have had a spinal cord injury (SCI)
- Are interested in losing weight and living a healthier lifestyle
What This Study Is About
Sponsored by the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR), researchers at Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation (BSWIR) are looking to test the usability and effectiveness of a multi-component weight loss intervention for people with SCI by examining specific evidence-based strategies (prepackaged/portion controlled meals, enhanced self-monitoring, and the GLB SCI, developed by further adapting the GLB AIM) that may uniquely address the barriers faced by people with SCI.
What You Would Do
Eligible participants will schedule a time to visit Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation – Dallas to formally consent and be placed into one of four programs:
- Pre-packaged/portion controlled meals
- Enhanced self-monitoring
- Adapted GLB SCI
- Combined GLB SCI+ multicomponent intervention.
The 4 studies will be conducted sequentially and each last for 13 weeks.
- Prepackaged, Portion Controlled Meals: Participants will receive prepackaged food, delivered biweekly to their home.
- Enhanced Self-Monitoring: Participants will attend a single group-based educational session at baseline during which they will be provided the self-monitoring equipment (scale and Garmin vivofit) and receive training about how to use the Lilypad scale and smartphone food tracking app.
- GLB SCI: Participants will complete the adapted GLB SCI that was modified with input from people with SCI, clinicians, and researchers to guide the content and delivery format.
- GLB SCI+: Participants will engage in a multi-component intervention package that will involve components of the previous 3 groups based on input and guidance from the people with SCI, clinicians, and researchers.
In addition to these various interventions, participants would be asked to come to BSWIR in Dallas for 2 assessment visits where we would measure your weight, resting metabolic rate, waist circumference, blood pressure, height and ask a series of survey questions. You would be compensated for your time.
To Join this Study
Contact Amber Merfeld
214.820.5843 | [email protected]