Sports Physical Therapy Residency
Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation’s Sports Physical Therapy residency is a 12-month, intensive study with a focus on providing treatment to patients with sports-related injuries. This accredited residency will prepare therapists to sit and pass the sports specialty exam administered by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties. The program includes direct patient care, venue coverage, mentoring time, didactic education, projects and presentations.
- Program Length: 12 Months, starting in early January of each year.
- Application Deadline: Varies from late September through mid October of each year.
- Location: Baylor Scott & White Rehab – Outpatient Therapy at The Star.
- Salary: Equivalent to new grad salary if not a current employee.
- Caseload: Consists of sports patients as defined in the APTA description of residency practice. Resident’s caseload is adapted for mentoring. Resident will carry a full-time equivalent caseload including mandatory weekend hours. Beyond a clinical caseload, the resident will also be required to complete a minimum of 200 athletic venue coverage hours over the course of the residency.
- Benefits: Residents are eligible for benefits as an employee of Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation.
- Course Fees: Estimated at $400/year. Residents must cover the cost of a Medbridge membership and any other costs associated with their curriculum.
Didactic Curriculum for Residency in Sports Physical Therapy
- Medbridge SCS Prep Course
Residency Eligibility Requirements
- Active Texas PT license
One year experience of clinical practice in an outpatient orthopedic or sports clinic recommended
Current emergency medical responder (EMR), emergency medical response for the athlete (ERA), ATC, or EMT certification
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Physical ability to perform examination and treatment procedures
- Strong skills in scientific inquiry and writing
- Psychological and social stability required for successful completion of the program
- Evidence of commitment to a career in sports physical therapy
Ready To Apply?
Applications are accepted through a centralized application website provide by the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education.
Current Program Data
Year Accredited: 2017
Number of Graduates: 3
Board Certification Pass Rate: 100%
For more information, visit the residency directory page on the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education website. You may also contact the program director.