Neuro Transitional Center
Transitional rehabilitation is tailored to individuals with traumatic brain (TBI) or spinal cord injuries,* stroke or other neurological diseases as well as those who are at high risk for unsafe discharge.
Our Neuro Transitional Center provides a unique, comfortable environment designed to feel like home. It gives patients with physical, behavioral and cognitive impairments access to comprehensive therapy in multiple settings.
Specialized therapists help transitional patients regain their independent living skills — with the goal of safely functioning in their home and community.
In order to be admitted to the Neuro Transitional Center, patients must have a physician’s orders and meet the criteria below.
*SCI - C5 and below - not on vent
Neuro Transitional Center admissions criteria
Patients considering admission to the Neuro Transitional Center must meet the following criteria:
- Orders from physician
- 16 years and older
- Diagnosis of acquired brain and/or spinal cord injury,* and not ventilated
- Ranchos Los Amigos Scale IV and higher - The Rancho Los Amigos Scale is a widely accepted medical scale used to describe the cognitive and behavioral patterns found in brain injury patients as they recover from injury
- Require a 24-hour, seven days/week structured environment, inclusive of skilled rehabilitation therapy, five days/week
- Do not require 24-hour physician or nursing care, considered medically stable and can safely manage outside a hospital environment
*C5 and below
- Room & board
- Basic nursing services
- Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
- Case Management
- Clinical Pre-Admissions Evaluations
- Behavioral Analysis
- Medical Community Coordination
- Community Reintegration
NTC patients will also be able to use the equipment and facilities at Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation – Dallas. Additionally, they will have access to emergency services and comprehensive medical support throughout the Baylor University Medical Center campus.
Types of funding accepted*
- Private commercial health insurance
- Workers' Compensation
*Medicare and Medicaid does not cover Neuro Transitional services. Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation - Neuro Transitional Center services fall under acquired brain injury (ABI), as specified in the Texas Insurance Code, chapter 1352.
Ombudsman Contact Information: (214) 525-6137
Exceptional patient outcomes
Our goal is to help you regain strength and recover skills that allow you resume daily life activities with as much independence as possible.
Every patient has individualized rehabilitation needs, goals and hopes for the future. To that end, Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation monitors and measures its patients’ outcomes gauging how well we are helping individuals reach their milestones.
We use standard industry indicators to measure improvement in mobility and daily living activities such as bathing, dressing and self-care. Other quality metrics include falls and infection rates, discharge destinations, patient satisfaction and their likelihood to recommend Baylor Scott & White Institute for Rehabilitation.
See if the Neuro Transitional Center is the right fit for you.
We welcome you to learn more about our proven treatment methods.